Friday, September 18, 2009

Freecycle

There is a fledgling social movement in the US called Freecycle. The point is to reuse items not needed by individuals instead of dumping the old but usable items and purchasing new stuff. It fits nicely with the traditional American way. After all, Americans are the people who came up with the saying "One man's garbage is another man's treasure". Somewhere after the 50-s this spirit of frugality was lost in the name of progress and economic growth.

So I was browsing through FreeCycle.org, the main website that compiles the offers and wanteds of the movement, and, among offers of kitchen sinks, blankets, sofas and such, came across an offer of "2 female cats".

It cracked me up. It's probably an insider humor for me - I try to freecycle my cats to my friends. I have had colleagues try to freecycle their cats to me on a number of occasions, too.

No comments: